Senior Athletes Enjoy Virtual Spring Signing

Bridget Doyle, Editor-in-Chief

Twice a year, Portage Central High School hosts athlete signing day. This provides an opportunity for athletes to be recognized for all of their hard work and talent. Since signing day has been cancelled, many students have been signing at home with family so they can still celebrate their accomplishments. These students have all signed to go to college in the fall for their sport.

Ana Trumm:

Trumm is attending Trine University this fall for acrobatics and tumbling. She has been in gymnastics for eight years. 

“Not many colleges in the United States have acrobatics and tumbling so that was one of the top reasons I chose Trine,” Trumm said. “It has been a really welcoming community that’s not too big or too small either. 

Trumm says that acrobatics and tumbling will be a NCAA sport for the first time ever so she feels like she’s making history.

Caleb Schuring:

Schuring is attending Alma College for tennis. He has been involved with tennis since his freshman year.

“It’s two hours away from home, close enough but also far enough away,” Schuring said. “The small class sizes and community I’ve already been involved in is very welcoming and fun.”

Schuring says that he’s loved being in high school, but is excited to move on and have the opportunity to participate in experiences such as travel abroad and going into a pre-PT program.

Casey Smith:

Smith is going to Lewis University next year to play tennis. She has played tennis since she was five-years-old, but only started competing eight years ago.

“Lewis is a great fit for me because I want to go to a smaller liberal arts school since I don’t really know what I want to do yet,” Smith said. “After visiting campus and meeting everyone on the team, I grew very excited about studying here, and I felt that this was the right place for me.”

Smith is excited for the next stage of her life where she can continue her education while competing in a sport that means the world to her.

Ben Cunningham:

Cunningham is spending his fall attending Cornerstone University and playing baseball. He has played baseball ever since he was four-years-old.

“Cornerstone is a Christian college which is what I was looking for,” Cunningham said. “Baseball was a key contributor to Cornerstone being a perfect fit, but I’ll also be in the honors program.”

Cunningham is looking forward to creating better relationships with his professors, getting to know his team and to strengthen his relationship with God.

Levi Conner:

Conner will be attending Spring Arbor University this upcoming year for track and field. He has been in track and field for three years.

“It’s a Christian college with an awesome atmosphere and the perfect size,” Conner said. “I’m excited to leave Portage and meet new people.”

Conner wants to thank everyone on the track and field team as well as the cross country team for their support and friendship over the past couple of years.

Kiana Martin:

Martin is attending Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology this fall for soccer. She has been playing soccer since she was in first grade.

“The school is a great fit because it is small and has small class sizes but also a lot of school spirit,” Martin said. “I was recruited for other schools to play but I decided to go for the better academics.”

Martin is excited to meet new people, to get involved in clubs and to gain more responsibility.