Realizing the Importance of Time in High School

Liz Williams, Website Editor

As Covid-19 puts an end to events we have been eagerly awaiting, we have started to realize the importance of time. In the absence of simple things like playing a sport, participating in popular school traditions, going to prom and even graduating, many of us begin to feel like we are missing out on the most meaningful parts of our high school experience.

This holds especially true for the class of 2020 as they have lost the chance to experience what they have been looking forward to for their entire lives. Looking back at the school year after it has been cut short puts a melancholy feeling in the hearts of many students, but also allows them to understand that tomorrow is not always promised. This year is now seen as a period of missed opportunities, lost experiences and unknown final moments. However, besides the circumstances, we should not feel like we have lost time. 

Courtesy of Ashna Mehra
Courtesy of Ashna Mehra

Life is short, which is why we have to make the most of it. This is a sign telling us that we must live in the moment and take chances. We often take the time we have for granted and spend most of it worrying about the wrong things instead of enjoying significant moments. While we learn about this importance, we see this as a message to the underclassmen as well. This time off should encourage students to enjoy and make the best of every minute of high school and appreciate the little things because the future is not guaranteed. 

We should be able to look back and be proud of what we accomplished no matter what happens. As we go on, we remember all the times we spent together, which is why we have to make them count.

As Ferris Bueller once said, “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” 

Courtesy of Pinterest