Chemistry students celebrate the importance of Mole Day

Max Eley and Maya Garrison, Staff Writers

A celebration that is eagerly anticipated by those involved in chemistry, Mole Day has arrived today, October 23 bringing lots of puns, a crazy dance and the overall admiration of a furry little creature in Mr. Taylor’s class. 

To those who are unfamiliar, it may seem weird that Mr. Taylor throws a huge day-long party about a mole. However this day is about much more than just celebrating an animal.

The mole is a symbol of a foundational unit in chemistryーthe mol. It has many, many uses within the field giving it a huge reputation and a big reason to go absolutely crazy over it on October 23. 

But why October 23? It’s because one mol of a given element contains 6.02 x 10^23 atoms of that element. 10^23 therefore being October 23.

When asked about why Mole Day is so important, Taylor said that it is a chance to share how amazing and useful moles are and it builds mole-mentum to learn more about chemistry. 

“Most people think of a mole as the furry little ani-mole that messes up their yard but it is so much more and I want to share it with everyone,” Mr. Taylor said.

Mr. Taylor certainly has several things up his sleeve when it comes to celebrations. To go along with more puns than you can handle, Mole Day in his class has many other memorable activities.

“Usually we have guaca-mole, water-mole-on and other tasty treats while listening to Post Mole-one or Mole-town artists,” Mr. Taylor said.

Not only do chemistry teachers celebrate Mole Day, but chemistry students do too. Many students in Mr. Taylor’s class take Mole day very seriously, and love to participate in celebrating every year. 

IB Chemistry student Rebecca Chenoweth said, “I plan on primarily celebrating this day in Mr. Taylor’s class because he likes to make it special and fun with his students.” 

Every year, students participate in making “Mole Day projects” in Mr. Taylor’s class. This helps students become more engaged in this educational holiday, and it’s also a fun break from learning the IB curriculum. 

Chenoweth said, “This year, I plan on making a funny video with my friends and pets about Avogadro’s number.” 

Students, like Chenoweth, that have had Mr. Taylor in the past recall that he does a great job of making Mole day a special holiday for chemistry students. 

“I’ve been in his class for Mole Day 3 out of 4 years of high school. His excitement about this day makes all of his students enjoy it even more,” Chenoweth said. “My favorite memory has to be him dancing on the chemistry lab tables though!” 

PC: Thesienaschool.org