PCXC runners set records

Maya Garrison, Staff Writer

Despite many of the fall sports seasons having setbacks and modifications due to COVID-19, the PC cross country team has had an exceptionally successful 2020 season. 

The team has been practicing since the beginning of the summer, and it has most definitely paid off. The boys team is ranked 12th in the state for Division 1, and the girls team was ranked 16th as of week three. 

Both the girls and boys teams have worked hard for their success this season. A great example of team members who have been working very hard are student-athletes, Tyler Brunner and Ellie Voetberg. 

Tyler Brunner 

Brunner is on the PC boys cross country team, and he has seen a lot of success throughout his career at Portage Central. Tyler has been running cross country since he was in sixth grade, and he has always had a natural talent for it. 

I seemed to exceed expectations from the very start as I was winning races left and right,” Brunner said. “In high school I came in and broke the freshman 5k record with a 16:42, this time got me to the state meet as a freshman.” 

His freshman year was just the beginning of Brunner’s successful high school career. Brunner, now a senior, has improved his personal record by 36 seconds, and has already taken 1st at three meets this season alone. Not only has Brunner been All-Conference twice, he is also on track to be All-Conference once again this year, along with being All-Region and All-State. 

Brunner acknowledges that he would not be where he is today without the help and support from his teammates. 

My favorite thing about this cross country team would have to be the fact that it nearly feels like another family,” Brunner said. “The guys on the team are some of the hardest workers I’ve met and don’t let each other settle for anything. We all push each other constantly and all strive to be better.” 

Ellie Voetberg 

Senior Ellie Voetberg has been running for seven years, and she has seen a lot of success throughout her time at Portage Central. Not only are Voetberg’s stats very impressive, but her work ethic is as well. Voetberg’s senior season has been remarkable, as she has won all of the team’s SMAC West Dual meets, and she rebroke the school record. 

When asked what she feels her biggest accomplishment throughout her Cross Country career was, Voetberg said, “It’s a tie between breaking the 20 year old school record and finishing as an all-state runner”. 

Breaking the school record twice is only one of her many accomplishments throughout her high school Cross Country career. She has been a varsity runner since her Freshman year, she is a 3x all-conference runner, 3x state qualifier, all-state runner in 2019, and an individual conference champion in 2019.