Students participate in this year’s presidential election

Hailey Pullo, Staff Writer

Although a large majority of Portage students were not old enough to vote in the presidential election this month, many students voiced their opinions on the candidates through social media and volunteer opportunities. 

For the students who were able to vote though, there were some mixed feelings. Senior Connor Warner, who voted for the first time this November said that although he’s excited that he’s able to vote now, he was not looking forward to this year’s election.  On the other hand, senior Zoe Worden said she was definitely excited to vote this year. 

This election, which could be considered one of the most divisive in American history, was unquestionably influential. Early Saturday morning, it was announced that Joe Biden was confirmed as the predicted president elect, with at least 290 electoral votes, 20 more than the 270 needed to win. With this confirmation, President Trump is now one of the very few incumbents who lost re-election. Even before the results were finalized, many students already knew how influential this election and its consequences would be. 

“It will be massively influential regardless of who wins,” Warner said. “The aftermath will change how elections are formatted for a long time to come.” 

This election saw some massive changes in how states voted. In the southern states, Georgia had an extremely close race, with a difference of only 0.2% in favor of Democratic candidate: Joe Biden. This is the first time Georgia has been blue in nearly 30 years, and many are crediting Stacey Abrams, a politician and voting activist, for this win due to the fact that she helped Georgia to register an estimated 800,000 new voters. 

This election also saw many complications due to the extensive changes made to the voting process that developed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. With many people voting early some states were able to make predictions early. However, the large amount of absentee voters made the process of counting votes quite long. This long process was watched closely by Americans these past few days, with so many people tuning into the news to watch states like Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Georgia, as they slowly reported new votes, causing many reporters to go back and forth on their predictions about the results for these states. 

At around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, President Trump came onto twitter to announce that he won the election after asking for states to stop counting ballots earlier this week. The predicted results are being accepted by many, but there are still some concerns about voter fraud and uncounted ballots.

PC: E&E News