Chick-Fil-A provides learning opportunities for local teens

Ellie Geib, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Chick-Fil-A has been a popular fast food restaurant across the country for many years, and when it opened a location here in Portage in 2017, it was instantly successful. Not only was it the ideal place for customers to find chicken and waffle fries, but it was also the perfect business for teenagers to get their first job. 

Senior Taylor Butler began working at Chick-Fil-A in September of 2019, and she enjoys working alongside other students from Portage Central. 

“My favorite part about my job is the people I work with,” Butler said. “Everyone at Chick-Fil-A is so nice and friendly which makes the work shift so much better. I also love working with all of my friends and being able to see them almost everyday since I can’t see them everyday at school anymore.”

Senior Abby Gernon’s favorite part of her job at Chick-Fil-A is working with her amazing co-workers and managers that always push her to be the best version of herself.

“Working with my close friends has been an amazing experience,” Gernon said. “It’s a different environment and often very business-like, so when I talk to my friends, it’s strictly chicken talk.” 

Aside from the positive work environment and supportive managers, Chick-Fil-A teaches its workers important life lessons that they will utilize far beyond high school. 

“From working at Chick-Fil-A I have learned that communication is key,” Butler said. “When it comes to working with a lot of people at one time, you have to communicate at all times; every little thing matters.” 

As with every job, there are challenges associated with working at Chick-Fil-A. Butler said in a fast paced environment, it can be challenging to have to non-stop run around and grab things to restock or quickly make beverages.

“Each part of the order has to be correct from the sauce, beverage, and food, which doesn’t seem too hard, but can often be stressful during rush hours where we try to serve around 140 cars per hour,” Gernon said. 

One upside of working at Chick-Fil-A is that you will always have something to do. There are many members of the Chick-Fil-A team: people who make desserts, beverages, put sauce in the bags, bag the food, take orders inside or outside, work the window, and sequence cars. Although working at Chick-Fil-A may become stressful at times, it’s always a great day at Chick-Fil-A. 

PC: Ellie Geib