Portage Central High School teachers receive the COVID-19 vaccine

Maya Garrison, Staff Writer

From a student’s perspective, Wednesday, February 10, was just a half-day of shortened classes, and less work; however, it was no ordinary half-day. February 10 was a very important day, the day that the teachers were able to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Since the majority of students are learning virtually this quarter, we thought we would get some of the teachers’ views on this experience.

The vaccination took place at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center, which is quite the hike from the school. Vaccine aside, teachers have noted that the Kalamazoo County Expo Center was very organized throughout this process, and they felt very safe while they were there.

Art teacher Elizabeth Honeysett said, “The whole event was run so smoothly and everyone at the Expo center was efficient and kind.”

One thing that helps calm the nerves of people who are nervous to get the vaccine is being in a well-organized, safe environment. The Expo Center provided an environment that was easy to navigate, which automatically calmed the nerves of our teachers, and gave them an easy experience. A major aspect about getting the vaccine that makes people nervous are the symptoms afterwards. Although symptoms of the vaccine include, fever, cold, headache, tiredness, and muscle aches, most of our teachers did not experience many symptoms, besides a sore arm.

“I had a bit of a sore arm a few hours after the shot, so I took some ibuprofen and that helped,” Honeysett said. “I had some soreness in my arm the following day, but not as much as the night before. I didn’t have any other symptoms, which was a relief.”

Although there are symptoms of the COVID-19 vaccine, they are nothing to be too nervous about. On a lighter note, the vaccine is a huge deal, and it was a very emotional experience for some of our teachers. The vaccine is one of the first signs of hope that we have established in the past year, and thinking how many steps forward can be made now that the vaccine is being distributed is a thought that has been hiding ever since March 2020.

“This moment was such a big deal. Once I got back in my car, I cried. Not because it hurt but because I was so happy,” English teacher Kate Phipps said. “The vaccine is vital to moving forward.”

The world has changed forever during this pandemic, so it is difficult to say the vaccine will help us get “back to normal,” however, it is very possible to say that the vaccine will help us move forward, and helps us get one step closer to getting back to the classroom, and feeling the sense of normalcy that has been lost for so long.