Mustangs make a comeback in winter sports despite new restrictions

Grace Cheatham , Staff Writer

Winter sports were completely up in the air as to whether or not they would happen this year. As with everything else, the novel coronavirus continued to push them back. With alpine skiing, boys and girls basketball, bowling, competitive cheer, hockey, swimming, and wrestling all scheduled to start back in November, they did not get the all clear until January. Even then games and contact practices were pushed back to begin in February, the month most teams should be in the thick of their season. Winter sports spent eleven months waiting to get back to their sport. However, after a successful two weeks of competition, our Mustang Sports have proved their dedication and love for the game, no matter what that looks like this year.

Multiple restrictions were put into place by the State of Michigan to ensure that sports would happen in the safest way possible. All athletes have to complete a screening and get their temperatures checked before any practices or games. Masks are required for all players during practice and on the sidelines. Swimming, diving, and wrestling are not required to wear masks during competition, but all other sports are. Additionally, there is no general admission as spectators are limited. Each player receives two vouchers per game to give out to allow two spectators in.  

“We have to wear masks, we have no jump ball and longer timeouts, senior basketball player Maddy Grueter said. “We also have distanced spaces on the bench where we have to sit.”

One of the biggest challenges winter athletes faced was finding creative ways to stay in shape to be ready for the coming season. Preseason team workouts and practices were not able to happen this year the way they usually do. This put more pressure on the athletes to hold themselves accountable to be physically conditioned for their seasons. Senior wrestler Jacob Hernandez kept himself in shape in a few different ways. 

One thing I started doing when the season was creeping up was waking up at 4:30am to workout. I would do my own home workout from 4:30am to 5:30am. At 5:30am I would run about six miles, sometimes four,” Hernandez said. “While I was doing that, I would also do intermittent fasting. With my feeding window being eight hours and my fast being 16 hours. So in short a 16:8 fast.”

Even though spectators are limited you can still cheer on your mustangs! Head to the PCHS youtube page to watch livestreams of the game with student commentary. Good luck to all PCHS athletes competing this winter season!

PC: Grace Cheatham