Challenging common misconceptions about the arts

Carter Barnes, Staff Writer

While the arts are popular among many high school students, they often tend to come with stereotypes that stem from misconceptions that are popular in the media. These misconceptions and stereotypes often find root in the beliefs that high school athletics hold more importance than the arts.

One of the most commonly misunderstood activities is choir. Many students are under the impression that choir doesn’t require hard work like other sports and activities do. However, choir students have explained that there’s a lot of work that goes into it, including reading sheet music, and practicing both in and out of the classroom. 

“People think that choir isn’t hard and that singing is easy,” sophomore Juliana Goulb said. “But there’s actually a lot of work that is put into it.”

Another aspect of the arts that most students lack a full understanding of is theatre. A lot of the misconceptions come from students thinking that those who participate in theatre have large egos and are over confident. 

“People tend to think kids in theatre never have nerves and are always confident,” freshman Andrew Funk said. “They think we’re always super extroverted and always the first ones to go for a class presentation but in reality, we do get nervous about presenting things.” 

Musical activities like band and orchestra are also another category of misunderstood activities. Students in these activities often tend to be the victim of unkind stereotypes in the media, which prompts bullying in real life. 

“People think being in band automatically makes you a ‘band geek,” said junior Deshana Betala.“You’re always put in this lower social position but people are actually passionate about it.

Orchestra students tend to stand out more than the rest because they often play older and more uncommon kinds of music. Playing an instrument like a violin can be very difficult because of the different fingerings and techniques used. 

“They think orchestra kids are super smart and they think it’s a boring class but it’s also a really fun class.” said junior orchestra student Hope Lim.

While our first thoughts about students in fine arts programs may be stereotypical, it’s important to take a step back and remember the actual contributions of these students.