Seniors announce their athletic commitments this fall

Kenzi Zimmerman-Frost

Four seniors pictured at signing day

Kenzi Zimmerman-Frost, Staff Writer

With a quarter of their last year under their belt, seniors have begun narrowing down their college considerations. For some, this also means considering athletic scholarship offers to continue on to the collegiate level. The first college sports signing day for the school year took place Nov. 10, with four of our athletes committing to their schools. 

One senior continuing their athletic career is Paige Carothers who will be attending Northern Michigan University for swimming and majoring in nursing. After being noticed in Aug. 2020, Carothers received an offer in January 2021 to join their swim team. She participates in distance and individual medley events, meaning she does butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle. Carothers has participated in activities with Northern Michigan’s team, such as watching some of their practices and hiking with the team members.

Carothers shows off her college gear in a picture posted to her Instagram to announce her commitment to Northern Michigan University. (Paige Carothers)

“What drew me to Northern Michigan is they offered a good schooling as well as a super welcoming environment,” Carothers said.

She is excited to get to know her new team and create a family atmosphere, however she will miss the bus rides with her teammates after a win. 

Another senior participating in signing day is Natalie Kotecki, who is joining Limestone University’s acrobatics and tumbling team in South Carolina. Kotecki has been a gymnast at Kids Gym for eight years and competes in all events, however is best at floor and vault. 

Kotecki applied and was accepted into four schools but ultimately chose Limestone. Kotecki was swayed by the academics and athletic programs at Limestone. 

“The campus is super nice,” Kotecki said, “And the classes are small so it’s very one on one.”

She plans on majoring in graphic design and minoring in business in order to continue running her own accessory business throughout college.

“I’m excited about competing with my new teammates and branching out in skills,” Kotecki said. “I’m a little nervous about moving so far from home though.” 

Corryn Adams, another senior continuing her athletic career, will be attending Millikin University in Illinois on a soccer scholarship. Although she admits she is nervous about going to a different state, Adams was drawn to Millikin’s beautiful campus, great academics, and welcoming soccer program.

Senior Corryn Adams pictured in a Millikin soccer shirt (Corryn Adams)

“I plan to major in biology and minor in something like exercise science,” Adams said. “I want to become a physician’s assistant.”

Having played for the school as well as Portage Lightning and Midwest United over a five year span, she is excited to create new bonds with her new teammates and play at the collegiate level. With new experiences approaching, one of Adams’ fondest soccer memories was the team bonding during her freshman year.

Students are signing to both in-state and out-of-state schools, going east, west, north and south for a variety of athletic offers. From Gaffney, South Carolina to Marquette, Michigan, these senior Mustangs are taking a big step towards entering a new chapter in their lives.